Huy Trong Tran
For more information
- Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, December 2015
- M.S. in Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, May 2014
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI, May 2010
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, Magna Cum Laude May 2008
- Visiting Scholar, Air Force Institute of Technology, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, May 2018 - June 2018.
- Research Assistant Professor, Applied Research Institute, Jan. 2017 - present (0%)
- Research Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Department of Aerospace Engineering, Jan. 2017 - present (100%)
- Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Department of Aerospace Engineering, Dec. 2016 - Jan. 2017 (0%)
Other Professional Employment
- Sr. Multi-Disciplinary Systems Engineer, The MITRE Corporation, Bedford MA, Jan. 2016 - Jan. 2017
Major Consulting Activities
- Consultant for The MITRE Corporation, Feb. 2017-Sept. 2017
- AE 199 Aerospace Computing (Spring 2020, Fall 2020).
- AE 498 CSE/CSO Computational Systems Engineering (Spring 2017, Spring 2019).
- AE 443 Aerospace Systems Design II (Spring 2018).
- AE 442 Aerospace Systems Design I (Fall 2017).
- AE 202 Introduction to Flight Mechanics (Fall 2018, Fall 2019).
- Reinforcement Learning
- Machine Learning
- Network Science
- Graph Theory
- Systems Design
- Systems Engineering and System-of-Systems
Selected Articles in Journals
- A Wong, S. Tan, K. R. Chandramouleeswaran, and H. T. Tran, “Data-driven Analysis of Resilience in Airline Networks”, Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review. 143, 2020.
- J. Heglund, K. Hopkinson, and H. T. Tran, "Social Sensing: Towards Social Media as a Sensor for Resilience in Power Systems and Other Critical Infrastructures", Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure, 2020.
- K. Thompson and H. T. Tran, "Operational Perspectives into the Resilience of the U.S. Air Transportation Network Against Intelligent Attacks", IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 21(4), 2020.
- N. Napier, S. Sriraman, H. T. Tran, and K. James, "An Artificial Neural Network Approach to Generating High-Resolution Designs in Topology Optimization", Journal of Mechanical Design, 142(1), p. 1-11 (2019).
- H. T. Tran, J. C. Domercant, and D. N. Mavris, "Parametric Design of Resilient Complex Networked Systems", IEEE Systems Journal, 13(2), p. 1496-1504 (2019).
- Tran, H. T., Balchanos, M., Domercant, J. C., & Mavris, D. N., "A framework for the quantitative assessment of performance-based system resilience," Reliability Engineering and System Safety. 158, pp. 73–84, 2017.
- H. T. Tran, J. C. Domercant, and D. N. Mavris, "Evaluating the Agility of Adaptive Command and Control Networks from a Cyber Complex Adaptive Systems Perspective," Journal of Defense Modeling & Simulation. 12, pp. 405-422, 2015.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- J. Heglund, P. Taleongpong, S. Hu, and H. T. Tran, “Railway Delay Prediction with Spatial-Temporal Graph Convolutional Networks”, 2020 IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference (ITSC).
- N. V. Stralen, S. Kim, H. T. Tran, and G. Chowdhary, "Evaluating Adaptation Performance of Hierarchical Deep Reinforcement Learning", 2020 International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2020, acceptance rate 44%.
- K. Thompson and H. T. Tran, “Application of a Defender-Attacker-Defender Model to the U.S. Air Transportation Network,” 2018 IEEE International Symposium on Technologies for Homeland Security, Woburn, MA, 2018.
- K. R. Chandramouleeswaran and H. T. Tran, "Data-driven Resilience Quantification of the US Air Transportation Network," 2018 Annual IEEE International Systems Conference (SysCon), Vancouver, CA, 2018.
- L. Antul, S. Ricks, L. Cho, M. Cotter, R. B. Jacobs, A. Markina-Khusid, J. Kamenetsky, J. Dahmann, and H. T. Tran, "Toward Scaling Model-Based Engineering for Systems of Systems," 2018 IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, MT, 2018.
- K. R. Chandramouleeswaran, D. Krzemien, K. Burns, and H. T. Tran, “Machine Learning Prediction of Airport Delays in the US Air Transportation Network,” 2018 AIAA Aviation Forum, Atlanta, GA, 2018.
- H. T. Tran, J. C. Domercant, and D. N. Mavris, "Designing Resilient System-of-Systems Networks," 2017 Annual IEEE International Systems Conference (SysCon), Montreal, CA, 2017.
- H. T. Tran, J. C. Domercant, and D. N. Mavris, "A Network-based Cost Comparison of Resilient and Robust System-of-Systems," In Procedia Computer Science (Vol. 95, p. 126-133), Complex Adaptive Systems Conference, Los Angeles, CA, 2016 (Best Paper Award: Theoretical).
- H. T. Tran, J. C. Domercant, and D. N. Mavris, “A System-of-Systems Approach for Assessing the Resilience of Reconfigurable Command and Control Architectures,” AIAA Infotech @ Aerospace Conference, Kissimmee, FL, 2015 (also AIAA Paper 2015-0640).
- M. G. Balchanos, J. C. Domercant, H. T. Tran, and D. N. Mavris, “Metrics-based Analysis and Evaluation Framework for Engineering Resilient Systems,” 2014 7th International Symposium on Resilient Control Systems (ISRCS), p. 1-7, Denver, CO, 2014.
- H. T. Tran, J. C. Domercant, and D. N. Mavris, “Trade-offs Between Command and Control Architectures and Force Capabilities Using Battlespace Awareness,” 19th International Command and Control Research and Technology Symposium (ICCRTS), Alexandria, VA, 2014.
Recent Courses Taught
- AE 199 170 - Aerospace Computing
- AE 202 - Aerospace Flight Mechanics
- AE 443 A1 - Aerospace Systems Design II
- AE 498 CSE (AE 498 CSO) - Comp Methods for Sys Engr