MS Degree Non-Thesis On Campus
Students should indicate their intention to seek the non-thesis MS option when applying to the AE graduate program or through a departmental petition. The MS without Thesis degree is designed to be completed in 1 year (16 hours per semester) of self-supported, full-time study. The Department of Aerospace Engineering does not provide funding for students in this program. It is expected that students pursuing the MS without Thesis degree will pay tuition and fees for the duration of their studies. Students wishing to switch to the MS with Thesis program must have a faculty member who will advise their thesis and provide funding. Department approval is required for the change in program.
In the non-thesis option, 32 hours of graded course work are required, selected in the following ways:
- AE 590 (Departmental Seminar) must be taken every semester.
- At least 12 of these hours must be in 500-level courses, and at least 8 of the 12 hours must be in Aerospace Engineering.
- No more than 4 hours of AE 497 / 597 (Independent study) can be used towards the degree requirements.
- All students in the MS non-thesis option must complete one course from all three areas listed among the Aerospace Engineering Breadth Requirements.
- Graduate students are expected to exhibit competence in applied mathematics. MS students may meet this requirement by taking a minimum of 3-4 hours of courses listed among Mathematics Requirements.
- The MS without Thesis Check List needs to be completed in consultation with your advisor to plan your program. A DARS Audit is an unofficial audit of progress toward the undergraduate student degree that reflects courses currently in progress. Recommended courses for various areas of research are also listed in the Suggested Program Tracts.
All MS degree candidates must complete Check Lists with their advisors to plan their programs.
Director of Graduate Studies
Graduate Programs Coordinator
Dung Quach Wisdom
Graduate Programs Advisor
Elevate Your Career Completely Online
Explore the opportunity to elevate your career with an Online Master of Science degree that is a non-thesis, non-research program.