Joshua L. Rovey
For more information
- Ph.D. Aerospace Engineering, April 2006, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
- M.S.E. Aerospace Engineering, April 2003, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
- B.S.E. Aerospace Engineering, December 2002, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
- Associate Professor of Aerospace Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Aug 2017 - present
- Director, Illinois Space Grant Consortium, Jan 2019 - present
- Space Propulsion
- Electric Propulsion
Selected Articles in Journals
- Rasmont, N.,* Broemmelsiek, E.J.,* and Rovey, J.L., “Linear Burn Rate of Ionic Liquid Multimode Monopropellant,” Combustion and Flame, Vol. 219, pp. 212-224, Sept. 2020.
- Maser, J.N.* and Rovey, J.L., “Asymmetric semiconductor nanostructures for particle manipulation,” AIP Advances, Vol. 10, No. 095129, Sept. 2020.
- Rovey, J.L., Lyne, C.T.,* Mundahl, A.J.,* Rasmont, N.,* Glascock, M.S.,* Wainwright, M.J.,*and Berg, S.P., “Review of Multimode Space Propulsion,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 118, pp. 100627, Oct. 2020. Invited review paper.
- Wainwright, M.J.* and Rovey, J.L., “Effect of Nonlinear Mixing on Electrospray Propulsion Predictions,” Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 167-170, Jan. 2021.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Yamauchi, T.*, Nuwal, N., Sharma, A.*, Levin, D.A., Rovey, J.L., “High Resolution Modeling and Experiments for Deeper Understanding of Plasma Dynamics,” AIAA-2021-0522, AIAA SciTech Forum and Exposition, virtual event, Jan. 11-15, 2021.
- Klosterman, M.*, Rovey, J.L., Levin, D.A., “Ion-Induced Electron Emission from Surfaces Bombarded by an EMIM-BF4 Electrospray Plume,” AIAA-2021-1975, AIAA SciTech Forum and Exposition, virtual event, Jan. 11-15, 2021.
- Al-Rashdan, H.,* Villafane-Roca, L., Rovey, J.L., and Elliott, G., “Supersonic Underexpanded Flow Visualization in Sub-Atmospheric Facility,” AIAA Aviation Forum and Exposition, AIAA-2021-2859, Virtual Online Event, Aug. 2-6, 2021.
- Eisen, J.G,* Cline, B.C.,* Berg, S.P., Rovey, J.L., “Power Processing Unit and Feed System Development for a Multimode Spacecraft Propulsion System,” AIAA Propulsion and Energy Forum, AIAA-2021-3428, Virtual Online, Aug. 9-11, 2021.
- Lyne, C.T.,* Rovey, J.L., Berg, S.P., “Monopropellant-Electrospray Multimode Thruster Testing Results: Electrospray Mode,” AIAA Propulsion and Energy Forum, AIAA-2021-3439, Virtual Online, Aug. 9-11, 2021.
- Gallimore, A.D. and Rovey, J.L., “Gas-Fed Hollow Cathode Keeper and Method of Operating Same,” United States Letters Patent No. 7,791,260 Issued Sept. 10, 2010
- Berg. S.P. and Rovey, J.L., “Electrical/Chemical Thruster Using the Same Monopropellant and Method”, Patent No. 10,180,118 Issued Jan. 15, 2019.
- Aerospace America Year-in-Review Author, AIAA Electric Propulsion Technical Committee 2009
- Secretary, AIAA Plasmadynamics & Lasers Technical Committee 2010 - 2012
- AIAA Plasmadynamics & Lasers Technical Committee 2010 - 2015
- Secretary, AIAA Electric Propulsion Technical Committee 2014-2015, 2021-present
- AIAA Electric Propulsion Technical Committee 2014 - present
- Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Member, Electric Rocket Propulsion Society (ERPS)
- AIAA National Lawrence B. Sperry Young Professional Award (2016)
- NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts Fellow (Phase I and II) (2013)
- AIAA St. Louis Section Young Professional Award (2011)
- Air Force Office of Scientific Research Young Investigator Award (2010)
Public Service Honors
- AIAA St. Louis Section Service Award (2015)
Recent Courses Taught
- AE 100 C - Intro to Aerospace Engineering
- AE 398 ISG - ISG Project
- AE 433 - Aerospace Propulsion
- AE 435 - Electric Propulsion